Human Services Program Licensing
Becoming a Licensed Human Services Program or Provider
If you are interested in licensing a treatment or other human services program, please follow these steps. You can find a description of the different license types and links to their associated rules here.
Utah Office of Licensing
Department of Health & Human Services
195 N 1950 W
Salt Lake City, UT 84116
Payment must be submitted in the form of a money order, cashier’s check or company check (no personal checks accepted) made payable to the Utah Department of Health & Human Services.
Fees for initial licenses are as follows:
- Adult Day Care, Adoption Agencies, Day Treatment, Intermediate Secure Care, Outpatient Treatment, Residential
Support, Residential Treatment, Social Detoxification, Therapeutic School – $900
- Child Placing Foster Agencies – $250
- Outdoor Youth Programs – $1,408
- Recovery Residences – $1,295
DSPD Residential Support or Day Support programs with 3 or fewer clients require a certification rather than a license. Follow these steps to obtain a certification.
- Certified Residential Support application (serving 3 or fewer clients)
- Certified Day Support application (serving 3 or fewer clients, either site-based or in the community)
and submit it one of the following ways:
Renewing your License
To renew your program’s license, please complete the following instructions:
- Approximately two months before your license expires, you will receive an auto-generated reminder from the Office of Licensing (OL). Fill out and submit a renewal application with the proper renewal fee. OL should receive this paperwork no later than 30 days before your license expires.
- You will also need to email your licensor the following documents 30 days prior to your license expiration:
- Updated business license
- Fire inspection
- Health inspection (if applicable)
- Organization chart
- Verification of insurance coverage
- Policy & procedure manual (if there have been any changes over the past year)
- Youth Education Coordinating Form (if applicable)
- Your licensor may request additional paperwork depending on the category of license
- Contact your licensor no later than 30 days before expiration to schedule a time for a program review and safety inspection. Then, review the licensor checklist to ensure that you have addressed all areas that the licensor will review
- Your licensor will renew your license when all paperwork has been submitted and all criteria have been met